In 1955, After venturing from his father’s ministry, Pastor George W. Bogle started Faith Gospel Temple. Newly married, Pastor Bogle and wife Shirley Bogle diligently labored in ministry together. Within ten years Faith Gospel Temple had grown to capacity and a new church was constructed
In 1964, The doors to Evangel Church opened. Located in Mt Clemens, Michigan on Joy Boulevard, this church’s evangelical focus would guide the Bogles to a wide range of outreach ministries. The vision of a radio ministry, purposed to reach the metro Detroit area with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, was birthed. In 1967 Prayer Time had reached the radio airwaves and a journey of prayer began. This was to be just the beginning of the church’s commitment in ministering to peoples’ lives through prayer.
In 1970, Evangel Church moved from Mt. Clemens to Detroit, and took on a name that truly reflected the heart of the ministry, “The House of Prayer.” The church’s passion for outreach was reflected in the diverse group that it attracted. Its continuing mission to reach the greater Detroit area with the Gospel spilled onto the television airwaves in the late 70s and continued until the mid-90s.
In the 90s, now called Evangel Ministries, the church expanded its walls to reach even more of its neighboring areas. It opened two locations, one in East Detroit, and also one in Taylor, Michigan. As the 21st century began, the church had a dynamic staff of ministers headed by Pastor Christopher W. Brooks.
In 2003, Pastor Bogle selected, then Executive Pastor, Christopher W. Brooks as Senior Pastor and Pastor Bogle became Pastor Emeritus. Pastor Brooks continued the vision and under his exemplary leadership ministries flourished that promoted the development of Evangel's members, the Detroit community, and the Body of Christ at-large. Click here for more.